Sunday, November 1, 2009

this marriage

I do.

I do see in your face the countenances of six and a half billion other lovers, all whom I'd love to take. This moment, altered by the vows of what we breathe, share, and pass on 'til we pass on, encompasses the miracles of love and life and living in love, especially in love with life and the lives of all our lovers.

What a gift it is to see you and watch you manifest the unfathomable uniqueness of every face. With each touch of you I accept an embrace from strangers and make new families. This is the way it is supposed to be, and this is my eternal commitment.

You, the one who penetrates reality so deeply, who speaks with tongues from all of history, who grows from the fertile crescent and expands to let me become part of you as you come in part by accident of causal relationships, you are everything, all that I wish to be with eternally.

And I give my solemn word to love you unconditionally--it is not the contingent you to whom I promise this matrimony. It is all that you represent-- the time that goes on to infinity in so many directions it makes me dizzy. The love that I have must be challenged daily because possibility is so big and it can be easy to see this wrongly.

So I vow, to you, to see through you in every moment, to be merry in this minute, and to marry each second with the first breath of the present. This is greater than romance stories could begin to explain because the love truly is boundless, the work is never without end, the universe becomes her, and him, and then there is only being.

I don't know what I'm getting myself into, and in fact I never could, so I place myself in a space for life rooted only by faith that this is true. To you, and the innumerable ones to hear the echoes run through your veins, I love you.

I do love you.

I do.

-6/27/08

No comments:

Post a Comment